The Government Hospitals of Maharashtra are rendering very valuable health care services to the needy patients. Due to financial and administrative limitations, certain services lag in quality and patient satisfaction. To improve these, Rugna Kalyan Samitis (RKS) are constituted in the Government Hospitals. RKS is to be established in all DH,RRC,TB,LH,MH, SDH,RH,GH, WH &PHC in the state.
RKS is Welfare trust, registered with charity commissioner.
Each RKS has one Governing Body for making policy decisions and one Executive Committee for executing those decisions.
In these committees RKS would have people’s representative, health officials, local district officials, leading members of the community as well as leading donors as their members.
The funds received by RKS will be deposited in the bank account of the trust. These will be operated by the Executive Committee constituted by RKS.
Objectives, Functions and Activities of RKS
- Undertake all activities to improve and expand patient related quality services and welfare activities.
- Acquiring equipment, furniture, emergency medicines for efficient running of the hospitals as per existing rules and regulations.
- To ensure subsidized food, medicines and quality drinking water to the patients and their relatives.
- Improve boarding and lodging arrangements for patients and there attendant.
- To put a management structure in place that could fulfill the objective of community participation.
- The main objective of RKS is to decentralize the hospital functioning by delegating the financial powers to the head of the institutions.
- The Executive Committee will guide and control the activities as per the policy formulated by RKS Governing Body.
RKS Fund is utilized for
- Purchase of medicine to poor patients
- Laboratory tests outside hospital
- Transportation of patient ( Referral Services)
- Cloths to patients/ newborn for delivery patients
- Drinking water facility to patients
- Sitting arrangement for patients
- Solar power heater for patients
- Kitchen / Dharmashala – Construction/ maintenance
- Food facility for patients
- Other innovative schemes
- purchase of essential medicine not available in Hospital
- purchase of essential equipment not available in the Hospital
In Maharashtra, total 2309 RKS registered in Government Hospitals. In that, District Hospital – 23, Regional Referral Centre – 2, TB – 4, LH – 4, MH – 4, Ortho. Hosp.-1, Sub District Hospital – 80, Rural Hospital – 365, Women Hospital – 11, General Hospital – 4 and Primary Health Centre – 1811.