- Train and enhance capacity of Panchayati Raj Institutions (PRIs) to own, control and manage public health services.
- Promote access to improved healthcare at household level through the female health activist (ASHA).
- Health Plan for each village through Village Health Committee of the Panchayat.
- Strengthening sub-centre through an untied fund to enable local planning and action and more Multi Purpose Workers (MPWs).
- Strengthening existing PHCs and CHCs, and provision of 30-50 bedded CHC per lakh population for improved curative care to a normative standard (Indian Public Health Standards defining personnel, equipment and management standards).
- Preparation and Implementation of an inter-sectoral District Health Plan prepared by the District Health Mission, including drinking water, sanitation and hygiene and nutrition.
- Integrating vertical Health and Family Welfare programmes at National, State, Block, and District levels.
- Technical Support to National, State and District Health Missions, for Public Health Management.
- Strengthening capacities for data collection, assessment and review for evidence based planning, monitoring and supervision.
- Formulation of transparent policies for deployment and career development of Human Resources for health.
- Developing capacities for preventive health care at all levels for promoting healthy life styles, reduction in consumption of tobacco and alcohol etc.
- Promoting non-profit sector particularly in underserved areas.
- Regulation of Private Sector including the informal rural practitioners to ensure availability of quality service to citizens at reasonable cost.
- Promotion of Public Private Partnerships for achieving public health goals.
- Mainstreaming AYUSH – revitalizing local health traditions.
- Reorienting medical education to support rural health issues including regulation of Medical care and Medical Ethics.
- Effective and viable risk pooling and social health insurance to provide health security to the poor by ensuring accessible, affordable, accountable and good quality hospital care.